Making a great Pizza dough- Step 1 Poolish
Sourced from a number of experts but I follow: Vito https://www.youtube.com/user/maestrovitoiacopelli
Please I do not pretend to be an expert in the mysteries of Pizza dough but as someone who have been watching and trying different recipes and methods over the last 18 months, I am keen to pass on the recipe that has been most successful most of the time.
Hopefully on day soon I will crack the video and out this to screen but until then it’s on the blog.
I have tried a number of recipes as I said above some really easy and just about all have worked so that’s good…
But it seems to me the best success I have had is using the Poolish method….
Poolish, you say??
Well, it’s just a fancy word for pre fermenting the yeast.
Or as my wife says. MAKING THE MOTHER…
Here is the recipe.
Step one: Please note this step is to be completed the day before you are to cook the final pizza -24 hrs.
Making the Poolish….
“If you are able, I find it easier to get your ingredients in separate bowls ready to assemble”
- 300gms of Room temp water
- 300gms flour – “Ideally 00 but I just use std flour and it works fine “
- 3 gms Dry Yeast.: Everyone says fresh is best but as a kiwi male I have never seen fresh yeast so I use (Bakels Instant Active died yeast) we got from New World during lock down when the shelves were bare and it’s a big packet so I will be using it for a while but it works a treat….
- 5 Gms Honey, we just use kids honey, but I Guess you can try different ones the squeezy is just easy….
Assemble the Ingredients
- So, I just use a square Tupperware container as you can put the lid on and put it in the fridge …
- Then assemble the Poolish in this order
- Put the three ingredients together Item’s 1 – Water, 3- Dry Yeast, 4 -Honey Mix well and let sit for 2-3 minutes before adding the flour and again mixing well until it’s all combined, and you have a watery flour mix…….
That’s it Poolish Made ……
- Leave for 1 hr. at Room Temp
- Refrigerate overnight – Best for 24 Hrs. in a sealed container
When you pull this out of the fridge the next day it should look like a big cloud of Poolish tripled in size and squishy….